Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Ghore Baire

Its been about a month since we've moved base.
That, dear readers, was why I was out of the blogosphere for such an extended period of time, unlike my usually regular habits. No net connection for quite a while.
Well, like it or not, I'M BACK!!!!

As I said, before I diverted, it's been about a month since we moved base. I'm now living in Udita on the Bypass.
I have mixed feelings about this whole moving biz. First of all, this is an apartment, unlike our earlier house. It still feels like a hotel room, as compared to home, but now gradually less so than before.Nevertheless, i've had some good times here. But Rashbehari will always and forever be my home in the sense of home being where the heart is. Arguably I've spent the WORST times of my life there, but some of my fondest memories are also in that there place. Guess it's the same with all homes huh?

I have a feeling Udita will see the same, but I guess it will never be the same. I can adapt, but I've grown up. The adaptation can never be as permanent. I spent the most volatile, formative years in Rashbehari. that's essentially where I grew up and its flavour will be forever linked to the person I am today. I moved in there when I was almost 11, and left after seeing my 19th birthday. I don't have too many clear memories of the house i lived in before that. Some, not a lot.

In one of my previous posts, I mentioned that I'd miss my chaat a lot. I did, and I still do. For a few days after coming here, I felt entrapped. Caged even. On my first night in my new apartment, I was forced to pull an all-nighter to finish a term paper. Not exactly the best of beginnings, but there. I do not hastily judge houses. I believe they play an EXTREMELY significant part in shaping the people who live in them.

But I'm still not completely used to this place yet. I still feel a little disoriented in the mornings when I wake up to a different ceiling above me. I doubt if I'll ever be able to regard this as anything but a pale imitation of home. It's funny, but I've discovered an innate psychological resistance to my settling in here. No matter how hard I try, i just cannot get used to the heavy taste of the water around here!! Even after a month!! But that's probably just a lame example. I guess I've passed the age where I could move and be excited about it. Now its just like whatever.

As regards this whole moving biz, I have discovered (the hard way), that it brings out the worst in people. So any time you have the urge to move, don't!

These seem to have become some of the most turbulent times of my life. A dislocation only adds to it. But this is only the beginning. I have a feeling the fun's only started.

4 Comments:

Blogger onnesha said...

ive moved a lot all throughout my childhood..so i have nothing more than blurred images of the places i grew up in and spent most of my childhood...
now that we have finally settled down..it feels nice to come back to this place you can call home..however small and crammed it might be..

8:10 AM  
Blogger scorpionragz said...

aquilusaltus: yeah, travelling is a different matter. There ur not required to consider where ur staying as home. I'm prepared to do the same as u. But it's when ur concept of belonging, growing up and the whole concept of home is expected to undergo a change that the resistance creeps in.
onnesha: cool, yeah, i like totally understand, i guess. Nice to have a place to belong to.

10:09 AM  
Blogger March Hare said...

@alluder - u DONT really think of all that when u r thirsty...do u??

@scorpionragz - yeah...i guess...my house is a dilapidated old ruin....but I still love it to death...inbuilt nesting habit i suppose...

11:00 AM  
Blogger Joychaser said...

i've been transplanted many times, but never in a place that belonged to me.......until now......my childhood didn't really have the concept of home in the sense you're talking abt here, i think. It made aboslutely no difference to me where I moved to, however much I loved the place i moved from. I guess if i were flung into a shack in the outskirts of Bogota, it'd become home to me if i spent my nights sleaping there.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home